David Pennell was named the new Head Men’s and Women’s Golf Coach at Mars Hill University on June 17, 2016.
Pennell comes to Mars Hill from Columbia College where he served in the same capacity. He brings 17 years of collegiate coaching experience with him to the Lions’ programs. He coached at the college level at Montreat and Brevard before serving as the head coach at Columbia since 2013.
Pennell is a Class “A” Life member of the PGA of America, a 36-year member of the Professional Golf Association (PGA) and has spent 35 years as a teaching professional. Pennell effectively conducted an average of 20 lessons per week and also conducted clinics for men, ladies and junior players. He is also an authorized club fitter for Ping.
During his lengthy career as a golf professional, Pennell served as an instructor for N.C. State Golf Schools, and served as the Head Professional at Glen Cannon Country Club, North Wood Golf Club, Falcon’s Lair Golf Course, Lake Lure Golf Course and The Great Smokies Hilton Golf Course.
Pennell played collegiate golf for the University of North Carolina at Asheville before turning professional in 1977.
David’s professional accomplishments include:
- 35-year Retired Class A life member of the PGA
- Past Tournament Chairman, Men’s Golf in Appalachian Athletic Conference – 2001-2009
- Past Tournament Chairman, Women’s Golf in AAC – 2007-2011
- Past NAIA Rater for Men’s Golf in the AAC from 2003-2010
- Rater for Women’s Golf in the AAC from 2007 to 2016
- Served on Tournament Committee for the NAIA Women’s National Championship, 2011-2016
- 2007 AAC/NAIA Region XII Coach of the Year in Women’s Golf
- Coach Pennell was also named the Appalachian Athletic Conference Rater for the 2015-16 school year
Pennell has three children: Charles David Pennell, Stephanie Diane Pennell, and Ryan Daniel Pennell, and two grandchildren, Beckett Charles Pennell and Kinslee Ryan Pennell. Pennell will reside in Fletcher, N.C.